A 35-year-old man, Olaitan Adekunbi, who allegedly defrauded an apartment seeker of N100,000, on Monday appeared before a Tinubu Magistrates’ Court, Lagos.
Adekunbi, who is facing a two-count charge of fraud and stealing, however, pleaded not guilty.
The prosecutor, ASP Fidelis Dike, told the court that the accused committed the offences on March 12, at 10:00a.m., at Aro Bamigbose Street, Lekki, Lagos.
Dike said the accused unlawfully obtained the N100,000 from the complainant, Yusuf Ajetomobi, with the pretext of helping him to get a room apartment, which he did not.
“He said the accused collected the money and absconded to an unknown destination. He could not be reached on his cell phone.
“The complainant, who was tipped of the accused’s whereabouts, later traced him there and got him arrested,” the prosecutor said.
Dike said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
NIGERIA NEWS reports that Section 287 prescribes three years imprisonment while Section 314 stipulates 15 years imprisonment for offenders.
The Magistrate, Mr Omolaja Kazeem, granted the accused bail in the sum of N50,000 with two sureties in like sum, and adjourned the case until Sept. 26.
More in Local News
Recent Nigeria News
- Nigeria News Today Headlines 11/14/2018 November 14, 2018
- Nigerians Urged To Fight Against Women And Child Abuse November 13, 2018
- Quality Jobs Charged By Senate Committee On Contractors November 13, 2018
- Russia Aims At Securing Release Of Nationals Held In Libya November 13, 2018
- Kano State House Of Assembly Receives Petition From Barrister November 13, 2018
- Capital Market Has A Growth Of 0.03% November 13, 2018
- Vice President of Nigeria Says Petty Traders Not Needed November 13, 2018
- Governor Ambode Says Skill Acquisition Will Reduce Poverty November 13, 2018
- 5m Offered To Rescue Female Twin In Zamfara November 13, 2018