Connect with us

Kidnapping; Gunmen Shoot Bishop Ojo’s Chaplain Dead

Local News

Kidnapping; Gunmen Shoot Bishop Ojo’s Chaplain Dead

Bishop Ojo’s Chaplain Shot Dead During Kidnapping Rescue Attempt

Revd. David Aiyeola

Revd. David Aiyeola

The Chaplain to the well-known Bishop of the African Church, Rt. Rev Samuel Ojo, has been shot dead by gunmen during a kidnapping rescue attempt.

Revd. David Aiyeola, the deceased chaplain,  was shot dead by the gunmen during a failed rescue operation that was attempted after the church had refused to pay the N100m ransom that was demanded by the kidnappers over their victim. The African church had instead made an offer of N500,000.

The late Revd. Aiyeola, along with Bishop Ojo and his wife, were reported to have been travelling to Abeokuta, Ogun State, from Imjp Ekiti, Ekiti State, when they were intercepted by the gunmen on the road, after which the kidnapping took place.

Read Also; Kogi State Student Kidnapped For N10m Ransom

The group, including the driver of the vehicle in which they were travelling, was said to have fled into the bush.

An eyewitness of the kidnapping event, during his correspondence with journalists, said: “while others escaped, the chaplain was caught and abducted by the gunmen.

“They later contacted the headquarters of the church at Akure and demanded N100m. The church, however, offered them N500,000, which they turned down.”

He said, following the kidnapping, that the leadership had involved the Ekiti State Police Command in the rescue of the priest from the custody of the kidnappers.

He explained that while the church was trying to buy time negotiating with the kidnappers, the police closed in on the kidnappers’ hideout, where they attempted a rescue operation.

“The police swooped on the hideout of the kidnappers and there was an exchange of gunfire between them.

“The police team was overpowered and the kidnappers decided to shoot the priest. He was shot on the side; they (kidnappers) left his corpse behind. The family has taken the body to the morgue,” he added.

When the Diocesan Public Relations Officer, Alex Akande, was contacted concerning the kidnapping, he said that he could not talk about the incident, adding that the leadership of the church would hold a meeting today, Monday.

He said: “The case is with the police. I don’t want to divulge too much information because I need to get clearance from the church’s headquarters. We will be having a meeting tomorrow (Monday); maybe I can talk after that.”

The chaplain was not married, and he had only recently graduated from the seminary.

A check on his Facebook page showed that although he was a rare user of social media, he sometimes made philosophical posts there.

“People may say many things about you, but what you say about yourself matters most. I know I shall accomplish the purpose of God for my life in the land of the living in Jesus Name. Do have a happy night rest friends,” his last post read.

The death of the chaplain was confirmed on Sunday by the Ekiti State Police Public Relations Officer, Adeyemi Ademola.

He said, “We received intelligence about where the reverend was being kept by the kidnappers. The police and some hunters went to rescue him. We discovered that the place was a very thick forest.

“When the kidnappers noticed that the police and the hunters were coming, they shot the reverend and escaped.

“We went after them for a while, but the team had to turn back when it was getting dark. This was to avoid endangering the lives of members of the team in a terrain that the kidnappers may be more familiar with. We took the reverend to a general hospital, but sadly, we lost him.”

Read Also; Kogi State Student Kidnapped For N10m Ransom

Follow Us @NigeriaNews_net, We give #20,000 Worth Of Recharge Card Every Thursday

More in Local News

To Top