7 Immune-Boosting Foods You Should Always Eat
Boosting your immunity is important for especially because the rainy season is just around the corner. But here are some 7 immune-boosting foods your home should never lack. Inculcating these foods on a regular basis can prevent you from getting sick, ensure your body run smoothly, and by rounding out your plate with plenty of colorful servings of fruits and veggies, plus 8 to 10 glasses of water a day, at the very least.
NIGERIA NEWS from NIGERIAN NEWSPAPERS free BREAKING News subscription
- Citrus Fruits: Fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and tangerines are reportedly high in vitamin C according to experts, a well-known immunity booster. Vitamin C is recognized for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also said to help maintain the skin against infection. In addition, vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant that will protect your immune cells against viral or bacterial infections. Others also claim that citrus fruits also help one recover quickly from common cold.
- Oats and Barley: these grains contain beta-glucan, a type of fiber with antimicrobial and antioxidant capabilities and are very potent against influenza and herpes, boosts immunity, speeds wound healing, and may also help antibiotics work better. Oats and barley can be taken at least once a day.
- Herbs and Spices: These cooking ingredients are also undoubtedly powerful immune boosting and microbial-fighting properties especially as the rainy season seems to be just around the corner. Experts have carried out researches and have testified to their immune abilities. Examples of such herbs and spices include cayenne pepper, thyme, turmeric, ginger, garlic, etc. They are good for colds, catarrh, and respiratory infections. They can be infused in foods, juices, and smoothies.
- Nuts and Seeds: These snacks are rich in selenium, copper, vitamin E and zinc, according to experts and all these play a role in the maintenance of a healthy immune system. They are also great sources of fiber, antioxidants which helps in protecting the body against infections. Examples of nuts and seeds are almonds, walnuts. They are incredible foods that aids digestion, protect the body and help fight infections.
- Vegetables: Dark green vegetables are also a good bet for immune-boosting foods. They contain anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and anti-cancer properties which are all vital to one’s overall health. They also have an antioxidant effect to improve eyesight, increase neurological health, and also protect the skin. These are cabbage, broccoli, spinach, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Sweet Potatoes: It serves as a first-line fortress against bacteria, viruses, and other undesirables. To stay strong and healthy, your skin needs vitamin A. One of the best ways to get vitamin A into your diet is from foods containing beta-carotene (like sweet potatoes), which your body turns into vitamin A.
In conclusion, your diet plays an extra-important role in the strength of your immune system. Even though it is said that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, it may not work all through seasons. So, endeavor to always include these 7 immune boosting foods as part of your meals in order to remain healthy all year round.
Also, remember to seek a doctor advice before taking them for more clarification on their usage and also, if you are allergic to some of the above-listed foods.