The Nigerian Army says it is committed to working with the United Nations and other humanitarian organisations to ensure safe return of Internally Displaced Persons(IDPs) to their communities in the North-East.
Brig.-Gen. Uwem Obassey, Acting Commander, Sector 3 Operation Lafiya Dole, made the pledge during a courtesy visit to him by a delegation from United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Nigeria, led by the Irish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Sean Hoy.
It was disclosed in a statement released by Brig.-Gen. Texas Chukwu, Director Army Public Relations, in Maiduguri on Thursday.
“The Commander assured all international donors and humanitarian agencies of Nigerian Army’s readiness to maintain highest professional standard in the provision of security and also collaborate with them for the safe return of IDPs to enabled them to engage in farming and other economic activities,” Chukwu said.
Mr Hoy told the commander that he was on a mission to have an update of the security situation and humanitarian assessment in Monguno and Baga towns.
He lauded the efforts of the Nigerian Army in providing security to Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs) which enabled them to render humanitarian assistance to the IDPs.
The ambassador promised to cooperate with the Nigerian Army in its efforts to end insurgency in the North-East.
More in Local News
Breaking: Messi Beats Pogba, 2 Others To Win Champions League Important Award
Barcelona superstar and Argentine international Lionel Messi has won the UEFA Champions League best player of...
Sales Rep. Docked Over Alleged Theft Of N3.8m Pharmaceutical Products
A 29-year-old sales representative, Alexandra Chidolue, who allegedly stole N3.8 million worth of pharmaceutical products from...
Recent Nigeria News
- Breaking: Messi Beats Pogba, 2 Others To Win Champions League Important Award September 21, 2018
- See When Aguero Will Leave Manchester City As The Striker Signs New Deal September 21, 2018
- Sales Rep. Docked Over Alleged Theft Of N3.8m Pharmaceutical Products September 21, 2018
- Tricycle Rider Arraigned For Alleged Joint Act, Causing Grievous Hurt September 21, 2018
- Security Guard Arraigned Over Alleged Cement Theft September 21, 2018
- Osun 2018: Ex-Governor Oyinlola Predicts Aregbesola’s Successor September 21, 2018
- Man Lands In Prison For Stealing Phones September 21, 2018
- Hotelier Lands In Court For Alleged Cell Phone Theft September 21, 2018
- Man Lands In Court For Alleged Break In, Stealing September 21, 2018