Buhari Restates Commitment To Rescue Abducted Chibok and Dapchi School Children
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday hinted that negotiations are ongoing to secure the safe release of the abducted school children by Boko Haram from Chibok and Dapchi.
President Buhari gave this indication while receiving the United States Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. He noted that the Federal Government was “working in concert with international organisations to secure the release of hundreds of schoolgirls captured by Boko Haram terrorists.”
In a statement credited to the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, quoted Mr Buhari as saying We are trying to be careful. It is better to get our daughters back alive,” the President said.
President Buhari promised that his administration would continue to do its best to secure the country, adding that he would be in Yobe State, from where Dapchi schoolgirls were abducted, later this week “as part of my condolence and sympathy visits to areas where we have had unfortunate events.”
In his quick remark, Mr Tillerson said Nigeria was a very important country to the U.S, stressing: “You have our support in your challenges. We will also support opportunities to expand the economy, commercial investments, and peaceful polls in 2019.”
Recall that 19 February 2018, 110 schoolgirls were captured by Boko Haram in Dapchi, Yobe State. In April 2014, more than 200 girls were kidnapped from a school in Chibok, Borno State.
Nigeria News had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari and the US Secretary of state Rex Tillerson, were in crucial talks.