Ita Ekpenyong, a former director general of the Department of State Services (DSS), has been interrogated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Friday, August 10, for the second time.
NIGERIA NEWS from NIGERIAN NEWSPAPERS free BREAKING News subscription
NIGERIA NEWS notes that the Ekpenyong was grilled for several hours and asked to return to the commission on Monday, August 13.
Recall that the former DSS director general was on Thursday, August 9, arrested by the operatives of the EFCC.
According to an investigator of the anti-graft agency: “He returned today for interrogation and after some hours we asked him to leave and return on Monday.”
It was learnt that the former DSS boss was under investigation as part of a larger probe into how billions of Naira was transferred from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to the DSS and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) during the build-up to the 2015 general elections.
The report has it that while $289,202,382 (N57.8bn at the time) was given to the NIA, about N20bn was handed to the DSS.
The funds were approved by the embattled former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.) reportedly under the instruction of then President Goodluck Jonathan, according to memos.
“We want to know how the money given to the DSS was spent and how much Ekpenyong left for his successor (Lawal Daura),” an EFCC source said.
The EFCC is currently investigating the theory that Daura allegedly diverted the funds left behind by Ekpenyong.
“When we tried to investigate the matter, the DSS under the leadership of Daura refused to cooperate with us and even threatened to shoot our men when we attempted to execute a search warrant last year. We believe he was trying to cover his tracks,” the source said.
In a related development, NIGERIA NEWS had reported that sacked DSS boss, Lawal Daura revealed reason SSS personnel stormed National Assembly complex.