– Governor of Kaduna state, Malam Nasir El-Rufai has been sternly warned by the Northern elders forum for plans to arrest Arewa Youth Group Members.
– The Kaduna state government had gotten an arrest warrant on the members of the youth group.
The plans of the Kaduna state government to arrest members of the Arewa has been sternly condemned by the Northern Elders Forum.
NIGERIA NEWS from NIGERIAN NEWSPAPERS free BREAKING News subscription
Professor Ango Abdullahi who is the spokesman for the Elders Forum has said that, the Kaduna state governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai has no moral grounds for the arrest of the Coalition of Northern Groups, whom he said woke Nigeria up from its slumber.
In his statement, Professor Ango Abdullahi said, ”The government owns the power to arrest whoever they want to arrest, but I hope that they would arrest the youths and put them on trial in the court of law that belongs to Nigerians and not the ones they set up. “We know that the government of El-Rufai doesn’t even obey the law or court orders. I support the youths’ declaration. They did a good job and by waking up Nigeria from its sleep.”
The Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG), has since withdrawn the notice given to the Igbo’s after the intervention of Borno state governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima.
The Kaduna state police has however maintained that despite that the warrant of arrest on the Arewa youths will be fully implemented. The state commissioner of police Agyole Abeh, issued a statement saying, ”any warrant of arrest from a court will be carried.”
The Kaduna state government on Thursday September 28 announced that it collected a bench warrant from the court, for the arrest of the Arewa youths in lieu of the October 1st quit notice they served the Igbo’s living in Northern Nigeria.
The details of the arrest warrant of the Arewa Youths which showed the offences allegedly committed by the youths are;
– Inciting disturbance punishable under section 78 of the penal code laws of Kaduna state 2017.
– Disturbing public peace punishable under section 77 of the penal code laws of Kaduna state 2017.
– Injurious falsehood punishable under section 373 of the penal code laws of Kaduna state 2017.
– Unlawful assembly punishable under section 66 of the penal code laws of Kaduna state 2017
– Criminal conspiracy punishable under section 59 of the penal code laws of Kaduna state 2017.