Facebook’s lead regulator in the European Union, the Irish Data Protection Commissioner (DPC), continued on Thursday an investigation into a massive cyberattack on the social networking site that the company disclosed last week.
Facebook said on Friday that hackers had stolen login codes that allowed them to access nearly 50 million Facebook accounts, NIGERIA NEWS.
This is its worst-ever security breach given the unprecedented level of potential access.
“In particular, the investigation will examine Facebook’s compliance with its obligation under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to implement appropriate technical and organizational measures.
Such measures will ensure the security and safeguarding of the personal data it processes,” the DPC said in a statement.
Under the new GDPR European privacy regulations which came into effect in May, breaking privacy laws can result in fines of up to 4 per cent of global revenue or 20 million euros whichever is higher.
The fine is as opposed to a few hundred thousand euros previously.
The DPC said that Facebook informed it that their own internal investigation is continuing and that the company continued to take remedial actions to mitigate the potential risk to users.
DPC is regulates a number of U.S. multinationals with European headquarters in Dubsaid.
Facebook said on Tuesday that investigators had determined that the hackers did not access other sites that use the social networking site’s single sign-on.
Some security experts, including former Facebook executive, said the company may have painted worst-case scenario when it disclosed the attack on Friday to ensure compliance with the strict new European Union privacy rules.
GDPR imposes steep penalties if companies fail to follow rules that include a requirement that they disclose breaches within 72 hours of discovery.
That is a tight window that security experts say does not give investigators adequate time to determine the impact of the breach.
Facebook’s latest vulnerability had existed since July 2017, but the company first identified it on Tuesday of last week.
Nigerian reacts to Islamization of Africa, boko haram and herdsmen revelation by Olusegun Obasanjo
Chieftain of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Femi Fani-Kayode, has called on erstwhile President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo to divulge more on what he knows about Boko Haram, killer herdsmen and alleged plot to Islamise Nigeria.
The former Aviation Minister made this known in a statement he released to the press. He said the former president remains the only politically articulate in the Southern half of the country and that he understand better the imminent dangers that lurk around the corner for Nigeria.
NIGERIA NEWS report earlier the revelation made by Obasanjo on how BUhari is empowering Boko Haram and Killer herdsmen.
The statement read: “Obasanjo is deeply courageous and his latest contribution that there is an agenda to Fulanise West Africa and Islamise Africa says it all.
“Obasanjo needs say no more. History and posterity will be kind to him for speaking the bitter truth and saying what almost every other southern and Middle Belt politician and leader knows to be true but is too timid and too scared to say publicly.
“With his latest contribution he has vindicated yours truly and many others. I saw this coming in late 2013 and I told the world. Nnamdi Kanu saw it coming in 2014 and he told the world. Asari Dokubo saw it in 2015 and he told the world.
“Afenifere, OPC, YOLICOM, PANDEM, MEND, the Middle Belt Forum, the Niger Delta Avengers, IPOB, MASSOB and Ohaeneze saw it in 2017 and they told the world. The Christian Elders Forum, CAN and the Church saw it in 2018 and they told the world.
“Sadly the world refused to listen, left us on our own and, instead of rising to the occasion and confronting the evil, Nigerians went on bended knee to the powers that be and acted as if they were not saddled with a major problem that was bound to eventually consommé them all. Now they know better even though most of them are still in denial.
“Now they must live with the consequences of their indifference, ignorance, cowardice and stoicism. What a pity.
“It is a tragedy of monumental proportions that a nation that is so blessed with extraordinary human and mineral resources should end up going this way.
Fani Kayode, did not spare former Jigawa governor, Sule Lamido, for attacking Obasanjo and defending President Muhammadu Buhari as he attacked him back.
“I hear one or two people like Sule Lamido are not too happy with what OBJ said and have called him out for saying it. That is sad and unfortunate because Obasanjo has done more for the core north, Lamido’s Fulani tribe and Nigerian unity than any other former President or Head of State in our history. He also fought in a civil war to keep the country together.
“For anybody from the core north to call him names for speaking the truth and baring his mind over what is unfolding in Nigeria today tells you how blinded by power, insensitive and callous some of these people are.
“It is only those that subscribe to the Fulanisation and Islamisation agenda that will criticise or oppose Obasanjo’s observation and describe him as “a bigot” for making them.
“What Obasanjo said was timely and necessary and millions are commending him for it. He spoke the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”
VIDEO: AFCON Mascot pictures and full details
African Cup of Nations, AFCON 2019 organisers on Sunday shows the world the 2019 Mascot with video obtained by this online medium of Facebook
The video was posted on the official account of the football team of the continent a few hours ago as they unveil the 2019 AFCON Mascot in video on Youtube
The Organizing Committee of the 2019 African Cup of Nations has revealed the AFCON 2019 Mascot; The child “Tut” followed by the Pharaoh King Tutankhamun.
The competition for the AFCON 2019 is to start by June 21, about a month from today
The competition will see 24 countries for the first time competing for the cup against
NIGERIA NEWS reports that Cameroon who was initially tipped to hold the competition lost it to Egypt as a result of lack of enough preparation when the supervision officers went for an inspection early January
Earlier, Eypyt and South Africa were considered for the competition but Mohammed Salah country won the bid
- Education1 day ago
JAMB UTME results: JAMB 2019 top news today, May 18th
- BREAKING1 day ago
Obasanjo Reveals How President Buhari Is Empowering Terrorist Group, Boko Haram
- Headlines22 hours ago
Nigeria breaking news today headlines Sunday, 05/19/2019
- Headlines22 hours ago
Nigerian Newspapers: Top Today Headlines On 19th, May 2019
- Headlines1 day ago
Who is planning coup in Nigeria: PDP Chieftain reacts
- Headlines2 days ago
Hacker who steals $5.3m monthly, finally caught by Detectives in Mexico with flashy cars
- Headlines2 days ago
Nigerian Newspapers: Top Today Headlines On 18th, May 2019
- governance1 day ago
Ibrahim Babangida not dead yet – as aid denies death rumour on the former military leader