The Imo state chapter of Nigeria Union of Pensioners, (NUP), has attacked the state government on its planned move to recalculate or reduce the pensions of retirees, despite recent judgment of the National Industrial Court.
The pensioners made this known in a press release signed by their state chairman and principal state secretary, Chief James D. Osuigwe and Evangelist Livinus U. Asiegbu respectively.
The statement reads; “The union recalls that Imo State Government has only paid gratuities below N500,000 to affected pensioners and refused to pay gratuities above N500,000 since it came to power seven years ago. This is in spite of several bailout funds advanced by the Federal Government, to clear arrears of pensions and gratuities.”
They also raised allegations that the Rochas Okorocha administration “deliberately avoided harmonising pensions since it came to power seven years ago.”
The NUP substantiated their allegation by stating that, “government has failed, refused or neglected to pay the six per cent increase of 2003, 15 per cent of 2003 and 33 per cent of 2010, approved by the Federal Government and long implemented by our neighboring states.”
The union leaders disclosed that the Imo Broadcasting Corporation retirees are owed between 47-59 months, civil service pensioners;33 months, retired primary school teachers; 43-63 months and Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, between 50-90 months respectively.
It also stated that the government’s announcement, “purporting to remove allowances in pension, amounts to a contempt of court and breach of the verdict of the National Industrial Court,” Imo NUP reiterated.
NIGERIA NEWS gathered that the court’s judgment had read: “There is no law permitting the Imo State Government to alter or withhold any part of the pension of pensioners in the public service of Imo State. The Imo State Government or any of the defendants do not have the authority or power to alter or withhold any part of the pension of any retired civil servant.”
More in Politics
Recent Nigeria News
- What Innoson Chukwuma Said About Court Declaring Him Wanted May 24, 2018
- PDP Blasts Kogi Governor Over Unpaid Salary May 24, 2018
- 7 Things You Do Not About Fred – Manchester United Hopeful May 24, 2018
- CAN Debunks Report Of Getting Money From Buhari’s Administration May 24, 2018
- What Bukola Said About The New PCC Appointments By Buhari May 24, 2018
- Herders/Farmers Crisis: 6 Persons Dead In Fresh Attack May 24, 2018
- Breaking: Two Fraudsters Arrested For N31m Scam May 24, 2018
- Breaking: Ekiti Deputy Speaker And Chief Whip Impeached May 24, 2018
- Breaking: Robber Stripped Unclad, Burnt To Death By Mob (Graphic Photos) May 24, 2018