On Monday, the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC said it had pulled back 25 return certificates issued to some candidates who were previously announced as winners of the 2019 general election.
It said that the withdrawals were made on orders from the court.
Mr Festus Okoye, administrator of the Committee on Information and Voter Education, uncovered this on the occasion,“forum on Media Coverage of 2019 General Elections,” that took place in Enugu.
Okoye said that 20 of the 25 return certificates were withdrawn from All Progressive Congress candidates and reissued to different APC party individuals.While two certificates were withdrawn from the People’s Democratic Party competitors and were reissued to other PDP candidates.
He said the remaining three endorsements had been withdrawn from both the APC and the PDP candidates and issued to other party individuals.
“Before we left INEC national headquarters on Friday; the commission had withdrawn 25 certificates of return from the first owners and presented to their new owners, following court orders to do that,” he said.
Okoye praised the journalists for their transparency and powerful commitment with the commission, amid and after the elections.
He included that for the success of future elections, the media had proved to be fundamental partners.
He portrayed the media as the masses ‘ main line of reach to help clarify the political and electoral decisions of INEC.
The President of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, Mr Chris Isigozu, said the media had appreciated hearty discussions with INEC during and after the elections.
Isigozu praised the commission for performing respectably well, given the assets and length of collaboration with different partners associated with the electoral process.
UTME 2019: UI Sets Cut Off Mark Beyond JAMB Proposed Cut Off Mark
The University of Ibadan, UI, has recently made it known to only make use of 200 as admission cut off mark for the academic session, 2018/2019, NIGERIA NEWS reports.
The NIGERIA NEWS reports the Joint Admission Matriculation Board, JAMB cut off mark to be 160 for Federal Universities and 140 for both State and Private Universities but it seems UI are keen on not making use of the JAMB cut off mark, thereby setting cut off mark to be 200.
According to a report issued via the Vice Chancellor office, Prof. Idowu Olayinka, the reports reads:
“For the avoidance of doubts in the minds of our prospective admission seekers, their parents and guardians, our alumni and alumnae and the general public, the minimum mark for any course at the University of Ibadan, and all its Affiliated Institutions, remains 200 out of the maximum of 400.
“This has been the position of the Senate of the University since the matriculation examinations into Nigerian Universities commenced in 1978.”
UTME 2019: JAMB Candidates React To The Fixed Cut Off Mark
The Joint Admission and Matriculations Board, JAMB have released the JAMB cut off mark for the year 2019/2020 to be 160, which cause some candidates to react in different manners, NIGERIA NEWS reports.
The cut-off mark decision was made at the Joint 19th Policy Meeting held in Gbongan, Osun state.
Some candidates were interviewed by News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, on Wednesday in Bwari
Flora Chikwe reveals to the NAN in an interview that she is happy that her JAMB score is above the JAMB cut off mark as she scored 180, according to her.
Flora further stated as quoted below of her opinion as regards the fixed cut off mark for 2019/2020 admission.
“I feel the mark is okay, at least I scored above 160.
“However, I am skeptical about the entire process because apart from the scores, you still have catchment areas and post UTME to worry about because these schools put such into consideration.
“In fact, apart from the JAMB cut-off mark, you have to also think about the course you applied for, whether your score is applicable to the course’s cut-off mark.
“This also varies from one institution to the other.”
Musbau Adamu, JAMB candidate also stated that he is satisfied with the cut off mark but further express his concern as regards the way the institution takes time to process admission.
Musbau states as follows:
“I pray that this year will be different since JAMB has given its deadline on the admissions process.
“I also pray that the institutions will adhere to the N2,000 post UTME fees as prescribed by JAMB. If not, that money really weakens some people who cannot afford a higher cost for the process.
“More painful is after paying and you still do not get admitted into the school. We will, however, remain hopeful though.”
A teacher, Ceasar Adams also pour out his opinion by saying that in some Universities the JAMB cut off mark may not be applicable as it is customary for some tertiary institution to fixed their cut off mark at 200.
He further stated as follows:
“So those in that area who have less than 200 cannot jubilate over the 160 marks but it is our prayer that a higher percentage of candidates are admitted into all institutions this year.”
NIGERIA NEWS gathered that the tertiary education stakeholders have reach agreement to start the admission process for the first choice admission between 21st August to 16th of November, 2019. The cut-off mark for the private and state universities would also be 140 as agreed upon in the meeting.
- Headlines21 hours ago
Nigeria Vs Senegal Friendly Match Tomorrow, Super Eagle Adopts A 3-5-2 Formation
- BREAKING1 day ago
NYSC Director-General Gives An Update On New Minimum Wage For Corps Member
- Entertainment1 day ago
She was everything to me, Sotayogaga lauds late mum
- BREAKING1 day ago
Olunloyo Calls Out To Naira Marley Over Attack On Ruggedman In London (VIDEO)
- Headlines2 days ago
Former Super Eagle Player, Chukwueze Is Currently Tagged 63 Million Pounds
- Politics1 day ago
9th NASS: You Are Untrustworthy for Selling Out, Wike Slams Most PDP Lawmakers
- BREAKING2 days ago
Former Deputy National Chairman, Sen. Babayo Garba Died After A Brief Illness
- BREAKING2 days ago
Why Olusegun Obasanjo Does Not Recognize June 12 As A Democracy Day