Election Eve: 66 killed in Kaduna
The Kaduna State Government has confirmed the killing of 66 persons in Kajuru Local Government Area of the state.
The government condemned the killing and warned all communities against instigating attacks or reprisals.
A government statement signed by Samuel Aruwan, the spokesperson of Governor Nasir El-Rufai, on Friday said that security agencies have been deployed to the area, while arrests have been made.
Mr Aruwan did not state if the violence is election-related. He, however, said investigations have commenced.
Read Mr Aruwan’s statement below.
“Security agencies today reported the recovery of 66 bodies that were killed in attacks by criminal elements on various dispersed hamlets in the Maro Gida and Iri axis of Kajuru LGA. The settlements affected include Ruga Bahago, Ruga Daku, Ruga Ori, Ruga Haruna, Ruga Yukka Abubakar, Ruga Duni Kadiri, Ruga Shewuka and Ruga Shuaibu Yau.
“Among the victims were 22 children and 12 women. Four wounded persons rescued by the security agencies are now receiving medical attention.
“Government condemns the attacks and commiserates with the families of the victims. Security agencies have been deployed to the area and arrests have been made.
Government urges community, traditional and religious leaders in the area to encourage residents to avoid any reprisal attacks and to leave the matter in the hands of the security and law enforcement agencies. The killings are being investigated and residents are assured that indicted persons will be prosecuted.
“Residents of Kaduna State are enjoined to uphold peace and harmony, shun violence and allow the elections to be held in an atmosphere of calm. Any suspicious activity should be reported to the security agencies in person or through the following lines: 09034000060 and 08170189999.”
66 killed in 8 Kaduna hamlets
No fewer than 66 people were reportedly killed in eight settlements near Maro Gida village of Kajuru LGA of Kaduna State Thursday night. Among the victims are 22 children and 12 women, while four wounded persons were said to have been rescued by security agents who were alerted on the attacks.
Those wounded are receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
The settlements affected include Rugan Bahago, Rugan Daku, Rugan Ori, Rugan Haruna, Rugan Yukka Abubakar, Rugan Duni Kadiri, Rugan Shewuka, and Rugan Shuaibu Ya’u.
The state government, in a statement by Samuel Aruwan, senior special assistant to the governor, condemned the killings and warned all communities against attacks or reprisals.
The government said security agencies had been deployed to the area while arrests had been made.
“Security agencies today reported the recovery of 66 bodies of people killed in attacks by criminal elements on various dispersed hamlets in the Maro Gida and Iri axis of Kajuru LGA.
“Government condemns the attacks and commiserates with the families of the victims. Security agencies have been deployed to the area and arrests have been made,” the statement added as it urged leaders to discourage reprisals.