fbpx
Connect with us

Nigerian Newspapers Today Onlne

I’ve Been Denied Food, Access To My Lawyers, Family Members; Cries Dino Melaye

NaijaNews.com

Nigerian Newspapers Today Onlne

I’ve Been Denied Food, Access To My Lawyers, Family Members; Cries Dino Melaye

I’ve Been Denied Food, Access To My Lawyers, Family Members; Cries Dino Melaye

NIGERIA NEWS from NIGERIAN NEWSPAPERS free BREAKING News subscription

Subscribe to receive Daily breaking News from NIGERIA NEWS and Nigerian Newspapers

The Senator tweeting on his Twitter handle said that he was at the Trauma section of the intensive care unit of the national hospital.

He also said that he has been denied food at the National Hospital in Abuja where the operatives of the Nigeria Police moved him to yesterday.

CHAIRMAN, Senate Committee on the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Senator Dino Melaye, APC, Kogi West has said that he has not been allowed to see his family, his lawyers.

 

Fresh clouds over APC convention, as govs engage NWC in battle of wits

From left: Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State; Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State; Governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara State; Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State and Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State briefing journalists at a Press Parley after a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the State House, Abuja. Photo by Abayomi Adeshida 04/04/2018

 

Odigie-Oyegun’s bid for re-election appeared to have been sealed after the governors asked him to go and reconcile his re-election bid with his state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki of Edo State.

 

The governor and the mainstream of the party in the state are believed to be working for the ambition of the immediate past governor of the state, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole to replace Odigie-Oyegun.

 

NIGERIA NEWS gathered from multiple sources yesterday that Odigie-Oyegun had decided out of deference to President Muhammadu Buhari to drop any bid for re-election after the president showed his preference for Oshiomhole.

 

The governors it was gathered at the meeting with the NWC members protested the schedule for the congresses as untenable as they said that it would conflict with the Ramadan Fast scheduled to commence in about three weeks.

The congresses and convention had earlier been scheduled to hold between May 2 and 14.

Briefing newsmen at the end of the meeting, Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State said the meeting resolved to sustain the existing zoning pattern for the NWC.

Party spokesman Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi also speaking said:

“The governors are interested in the committees that will come to their states to conduct the congresses. So, we made it clear to them that this is a constitutional matter and the constitution of APC has put the responsibility for the composition of the congresses committee only in the NWC and that by Friday, this week, the list of congresses committee will be ready”

 

On the timetable for the Congresses and convention, he said; “There were also observations from the side of governors about the timetable for the congresses and the convention as the observation was that the timetable was too close and that does not leave much room for errors but the observation was that the timetable as it is currently constituted or composed was determined because of the Ramadan and we want to be sensitive to the feelings of Muslims who will be fasting in the month of Ramadan.

 

“Therefore, there are some possibilities that the timetable will be reviewed. It is not decided yet.

Corroborating the position of Mallam Abdullahi, Gov. Ganduje said; “We discussed the issue of the timetable and time limit for the congresses and convention and we decided that NWC should review the timetable because in the previous timetable, the Ward and local government congresses were too close.

 

“We equally discovered that the congresses were designed to hold on working days and normally we use public premises like schools and secretariats for the conduct of the congresses. Fixing the congresses during working days means that such places cannot be available. We agreed that the congresses should hold over the weekends.

 

” Also reviewing President Buhari’s reported endorsement of Oshiomhole for the party job, Governor Ganduje said:“Just like every other person, Mr President has the right to air his opinion but that does not mean he would stop any person who will like to contest from contesting. Mr President’s opinion is not constitutional and it is not a non-constitutional opinion as well. He just voiced out his thoughts which will serve as a guideline to some and otherwise to some

…Odigie-Oyegun will not contest against Buhari’s choice

ABUJA—The prospects of a seamless election of a new set of national officers for the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, are being beclouded by fresh intrigues over varied opinions by the governors and the outgoing leadership.

It also emerged yesterday that the outgoing national chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun may have buckled to pressures from the presidency and may have opted out of seeking re-election.

At a closed-door meeting with the National Working Committee, NWC, at the party secretariat, the governors pressed for a postponement of the scheduled congresses and convention, even as the NWC officials disputed the claim by the governors to appoint officers to conduct the congresses.

Buhari’s empty boasts on Benue killings

 

The Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, also turned logic upside down when he curiously claimed that Fulani herders were killing because the farmers blocked the pre-independence grazing routes that were used by the herdsmen. Among other absurd claims, Dan-Ali stated that the anti-open grazing law in Benue provoked the bloodletting. Now, is the Catholic Church parish, where Tuesday’s massacre occurred, sitting on a grazing route? Or, is the African Church, Logo LGA, where seven displaced persons were murdered in a fresh attack on Thursday morning, on a grazing route? It is apparent that Buhari and his men have run out of excuses. Their partisanship is palpable.

 

Sadly, the President compounded the tag of incompetence around his neck during the recent Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in England. He claimed that the herdsmen killings were caused by the infiltration of Nigeria by terrorists trained in Libya by the late Muammar Gaddafi. But on returning home, Buhari said that politicians were behind the upsurge in killings. This is doublespeak and it beggars sound logic. If he has identified the culpable politicians, why not arrest and prosecute them?

 

The Fulani brigandage is festering because of inept governance, which permits herders to practise open grazing. This is an obsolete method that engenders violence. As we have repeatedly canvassed, open grazing should be outlawed and Fulani herders disarmed. Brazil, Australia, the United States and other Latin American countries rich in cattle farming adopted ranching as the solution to this malady long ago. Ranching developed first among cattle farmers in Texas in 1820. It was necessitated by the growing demand for beef.

In Brazil, ranching was adopted on a large scale in the 1970s, especially in the Amazon region. It is the obvious solution, which the Fulani cattle owners are shying away from. To stop the killings, Buhari should implement the ranching policy in collaboration with states, local governments and cattle investors.

 

Ranching should be followed up by a good justice system. It is inexplicable that herdsmen kill almost every day and there has hardly been any known successful prosecution of the offenders.

The Operation Cat Race, which the Nigerian Army introduced to check the massacres, is ineffective. A former Chief of Army Staff, Theophilus Danjuma, alluded to this in March when he accused the military of partisanship and asked Nigerians to defend themselves. Operation Cat Race has to be reviewed. A former Chief of General Staff, Ebitu Ukiwe, has also called for the immediate disarming of Fulani herdsmen.

Along with the fight against Islamist insurgency, the President should display candour, expertise and determination needed to stop the bloodletting.

President Muhammadu Buhari’s repeated assurances that he would end the outrageous killings in Benue State seem to be an empty boast. This is evident in the latest orgy of killings by Fulani herdsmen terrorists there. This week, the herders have slaughtered 19 worshippers, including two priests, in a Catholic Church parish and farmers in Guma Local Government Area. In spite of the atrocities, the President buries his head in the sand, with his aides issuing hollow press statements. It is obvious that, as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Buhari has failed a key test of leadership – to secure the lives and property of the citizens – a key mantra of his election campaign.

 

In plain language, the latest killings in Benue are nothing but ethnic cleansing by the Fulani herders. In two incidents on Tuesday, herdsmen invaded St. Ignatius Quasi Parish in Ukpor Mbalon, Gwer LGA, during its 5am Mass. There, they heartlessly murdered two priests – Rev. Frs. Joseph Gor and Felix Tyolaha. One of the priests was reportedly beheaded. They also snuffed life out of 14 worshippers. Demonstrating the total breakdown of the country’s security architecture, later in the day, the attackers stormed a funeral ceremony in the area. They killed three persons, sacked the village and set 35 buildings on fire.

With the President cutting a picture of confusion and helplessness, 24 hours later, the terrorists struck in Tse Umenger in Mbadwem Council Ward and Mbakpaase in Saghev in Guma LGA and killed 22 persons, the House of Representatives heard at plenary. The daily bloodshed strongly suggests that under Buhari, Nigeria is sliding rapidly into anarchy. Why is this not obvious to the President, a former military general, whom, in 2015, the electorate entrusted with the onerous task of saving the country from insecurity?

 

Instead, insecurity has spiked dangerously, plumbing new depths with Buhari’s shambolic handling of the situation. His security chiefs, whom he has obdurately refused to call to account, display partisanship and incompetence. After the outrageous killing of 73 persons in Logo and Guma LGAs on January 1, the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, trivialised the massacre by calling it a “communal clash.”

 

However, these killings are not communal clashes, as the IG and other security chiefs would want us to believe; they are part of a well-planned scorched earth policy. Desertification, recession of the Lake Chad and expanding national population, which have hindered livestock farming in the north, however, can hardly justify the ongoing carnage, with the militia attempting to occupy, subjugate or conquer other parts of the country. The herdsmen terrorists’ use of the pretext of grazing to maim, shed blood, sack farming communities and occupy their land should be stopped by the country’s security agencies.

 

Youths burn police officer’s residence in Edo

SP Austin allegedly invited policemen from the Anti-Cult Unit and told his colleagues that cult members had invaded his residence to celebrate a birthday party.

 

Father of the deceased, a retired police officer, Mr. Joseph Imarogie, said his two sons were arrested during the birthday party of his granddaughter because the landlord said he did not give them permission.

Imarogie said his sons were arrested and tortured till they were granted bail, but one of his sons had already taken ill.

He said Glory later died at the hospital.

“This policeman said asked that why would my son celebrate a birthday without permission.

“He locked the gate and brought out a pistol. We begged him that we will come and see him after the party, but he did not agree.

“I was at the hospital with my son and did not know about the mob action,” Imarogie said.

A niece of the landlord, Odion Jimoh, said the deceased and his brothers dragged the gun with his uncle after a first shot was fired before the anti-cult arrested them.

On his part, the landlord said he was surprised when he received a call that the house had been set ablaze.

“I received a call this morning that the boy that fought me and was granted bail was rushed to the hospital where he died.

“My family later called me that people have set fire on the house.”

Edo police spokesman, DSP Chidi Nwabuzor, confirmed the incident and said some persons had been arrested.

 

Some youths in Evbuomama community in Ikpoba-Okah Local Government Area of Edo have set ablaze the residence of a police officer following the death of one, Glory Imarogie.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the deceased was said to have died in a hospital after he was allegedly tortured at the Edo Police headquarters.

He was said to have been arrested after he had an altercation with his landlord, a serving police officer, SP Austin Ehiziegbe.

His landlord was said to have been annoyed because late Glory’s niece celebrated her birthday at his residence without his permission.

A fracas was said to have ensued between the landlord and his tenant when the deceased and his brothers resisted attempts to stop the birthday party.

 

Varsity suspends 23 students for having love affairs on campus

 

Mr. Kabali said the suspension, which will last for one year, should act as a strong warning to other students, saying University administration will not hesitate to expel any student who breaches the rules and regulation governing the University.

The suspended students, who included finalists, were about to sit for their examinations.

The affected students were given one week to appeal if they felt the suspension was not just or fair and indeed Ms Rehema Katono, the public relations officer, acknowledged that the University disciplinary committee will soon sit again to have a final conclusion on the students, who have appealed against their dismissal.

“At the moment, we cannot declare that we have suspended or discontinued them because the final conclusion has not been made as yet regarding their appeals,” she said.

One of the affected students, who preferred anonymity for fear that his appeal may be revoked, said disciplinary committee was too harsh in its judgment.

“I find it so astonishing that the committee based its judgment on an offence I committed two years ago when I had just joined campus. The punishment is too harsh,” he said.

The university is governed by sharia.

According to Ms. Katono, if a student is interested in the other for a sexual relationship, they should apply to the Dawah committee for consent and be allowed to marry officially.

But even as a married couple, you’re not allowed to hug, kiss on the campus or sit with someone of the opposite sex for more than 10 minutes without the third party.

There is also no free mixing at the university between female and male students during lectures and in the compound.

“We are not allowed to sit together with our male counterpart and chat for long. They are always monitoring us,” one of the students, who preferred anonymity said.

 

The disciplinary committee at Islamic University in Uganda, Mbale campus, has suspended 23 students undertaking different courses on allegations of engaging in sexual relationships, contrary to the university regulations.

 

The university coordinator, Dr. Sulait Kabali, who also doubles as secretary of the disciplinary committee, told Daily Monitor on Monday that the students were found guilty of breach of university rules and regulations.

 

“The students were found guilty of coupling and having sex on campus, which is contrary to the University rules and regulations, Mr. Kabali, said, adding that other students were also found guilty of theft of property, consuming alcohol and other narcotic drugs, pregnancy and staging acts of violence at the campus.

According to the letter dated April 14, 2018, which Daily Monitor has seen, the students were reportedly found in the dark corners on different occasions engaging in love affairs.

 

“During the cross-examining to which you were subjected to, the above Disciplinary Sub-Committee and based on your oral and written submission in which you stated that you were found in darkness engaging in love affairs, you were found guilty of having committed the above-stated offence hence having violated the above-cited rule,” reads part of the letter addressed to the suspended students.

Follow Us @NigeriaNews_net, We give #20,000 Worth Of Recharge Card Every Thursday

More in NaijaNews.com

To Top