Dailypost has curated top ten Nigerianews today being 15h, March 2019 on www.nigerianews.net
Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
- Aisah, the wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, has been given a new appointment by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS (UNAIDS)
Aisha on Thursday was appointed as the UNAIDS Special Ambassador for the Elimination of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV.
- Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i of Kaduna State on Thursday urged Nigerians to disregard the rumour going around in the social media that he was involved in an accident.
El-Rufa’i said in a Hausa audio message made available to newsmen on Thursday in Kaduna, that the rumour being circulated was absolutely false.
- The Coordinator, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Kano, Alhaji Ladan Baba said nine corps members from the 2018 Batch A are to repeat the one year national service.
The Coordinator said the affected corps members absconded completely for more than three months from their places of primary assignments
- The Kaduna State Police Command said no fewer than 17 vigilantes were killed by armed bandits in Jan Ruwa Village in Birnin Gawri Local Government of Kaduna State.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Yakubu Sabo, disclosed that the police received information on March 12 at about 11:45am that a group of armed bandits entered Jan Ruwa Village of Birnin Gawri LGA and rustled many cows.
- The Police in Anambra have arrested the driver of the tanker carrying kerosene, who lost control of his vehicle in Onitsha around Upper Iweka area, killing about seven people, while injuring 19 others.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the state police command, SP Haruna Mohammed in a press release made available to journalists in Awka said the driver, a 35-year-old man named Junior Agari, was arrested and the truck also confiscated.
- Imo state Governor-elect, Emeka Ihedioha has warned financial institutions to stop new transactions with the state government or do so at their own peril.
Ihedioha, who said this at a media interaction in Owerri on Thursday, said new transactions would increase chances of illegal activities and jeopardise the financial stability of the state.
- The Adamawa State High Court has barred the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from conducting the supplementary governorship election scheduled for the state on March, 23.
The state High Court, presided in Yola by Justice Abdulaziz Waziri, granted an interim injuction by one of the governorship candidates stopping INEC from conducting the supplementary polls in the 44 polling units where voting during the March 9 governorship election was cancelled
- The Police in Oyo State have arrested the Chief Whip of the State House of Assembly, Honourable Wasiu Olafisoye Akinmoyede in connection with the death of senatorial candidate of Action Democratic Party, ADP, Honourable Temitope Olatoye, also known as Sugar.
The Speaker of the House of Assembly, Rt Honourable Olagunju Ojo, confirmed that the House was notified through a letter that Honourable Akinmoyede is under investigation.
- The Supreme Council of Bishops also known as World Council of Bishops, has appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to assent to the Electoral Amendment Bill.
The bishops made the appeal following the discrepancies that characterized the recently concluded Presidential, National Assembly, Governorship, State House Of Assemblies, and Area Councils in Abuja’s Nigeria’s 2019 General Elections.
- The Oyo State Police Command on Wednesday said that is has arrested no fewer than 18 suspects in connection with various electoral offences during the Saturday’s governorship and state House of Assembly elections in the state.
Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the state police command, Mr. Olugbenga Fadeyi, while speaking with journalists, explained that the suspects, who were being held at the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID), were arrested at various polling units during the elections.