Former international football star George Weah was today sworn in as Liberia’s new president.
The ceremony took place on Monday, at a sports stadium near the capital, Monrovia, had several African heads of state in attendance, including Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
George Weah, 51, who was sworn in as president by the chief justice of the Supreme Court, Francis Korkpor is taking over from Nobel laureate Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who spent 12 years at the helm,
It is the country’s first transition between democratically-elected leaders since 1944.
More in Politics
Recent Nigeria News
- Turkey’s Presidential Elections Was Free And Fare – High Electoral Board June 25, 2018
- Erdogan’s Re-election will Ensure Stability In Russian-Turkish Cooperation – Lawmaker June 25, 2018
- Armed Group Fires At Plane Carrying Election Materials, Injured Pilot June 25, 2018
- More Than 230 Migrants On Board, The MV Lifeline Is Stuck In International Waters In Mediterranean Sea June 25, 2018
- Entertainment: Davido Win Best International 2018 BET Award June 25, 2018
- Nigeria 2018 World Cup: Current Standings Of All 32 Teams In Russia 2018 World Cup June 25, 2018
- Migration: Undocumented Migrants Have No Right To Choose A Country June 25, 2018
- For Calling God “Stupid” Philippines President Sparked Controversy In Predominantly Catholic Country June 25, 2018
- Coastguard Rescue 948 African Migrant On Inflatable Boat June 25, 2018