– A youth movement in Plateau state has said it will contact the International Court of Justice in Netherlands over the killing of 29 people in Bassa local government
– The group also demanded that the soldiers be publicly tried
The Irigwe Youth Movement which is a socio-cultural organisation has said that it will contact the National Human Rights Commission and International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, Netherlands, in order to protest the killing of 29 persons in Nkiedonwwhro community, Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State by suspected Fulani herdsmen.
NIGERIA NEWS from NIGERIAN NEWSPAPERS free BREAKING News subscription
The group also demanded that the soldiers who allegedly compromised and “monitored” the killing in a classroom should be tried.
The President of IYM, Chinge Dodo, disclosed the intention of the group in an interview with The PUNCH in Jos on Sunday. He also faulted the defence of the military and wondered why none of the perpetrators had been arrested.
Reports state that the spokesperson for the Special Task Force, code-named Operation Safe Haven, Capt. Umar Adams, had exonerated the soldiers, saying the public had not been fair to them.
However, Mr Dodo, who insisted that the soldiers were culpable, said there had been pain, agony, sorrow and cry for justice in the community since the attack.
He said, “We will do everything legally possible within the local and international circle that will bring justice. We still believe that Nigeria has laws and, in those laws, there are people who are saddled with the responsibility of seeing them effectively implemented.”
“If they wake up to their responsibility, the perpetrators of that evil will be arrested. Are you not surprised that, as we speak now, no single attacker has been arrested? What a shame to the security apparatus in Nigeria! For the sake of those innocent people who were murdered, we will take our protest and demand justice to the NHRC and ICJ.”
“The security agencies have the wherewithal, and they know who the perpetrators of the dastardly killings are, but they refused to act. Innocent people have been maimed and massacred in a public school under the watch of the Nigerian Army who we are paying dearly with our taxes. We pay them to come back and embark on mass killing of our people. What a shame!”
He also described the response of the military as unacceptable “because they have failed to arrest the perpetrators.”
He added that, “We are not surprised at the response of the STF-OPSH. That was incapability, inefficiency, ineffectiveness and non-professionalism. They have failed to arrest one single attacker.”
“It is a simple thing, there is hierarchy of command. The commander of Sector 6 knows the soldiers who were at that station. Those soldiers should be called, investigated and questioned. I am sure that, from there, the truth will be known. And if the truth is known, it should be on public domain, not secret trial. They should be tried publicly.”