It would be a very serious thing if an elected governor of a given state is impeached. It simply explains the sacking of the number one citizen of the state. Recently, Governor Samuel Ortom was served a quit notice on Monday, by 8th out of 33 members of Benue House of Assembly
When an elected person is impeached be it a president or governor, then the issue is said to be severe and action is needed to be taken.
There are ways of impeaching a governor and it is found in the one document which has difficult processes and procedure for amendment.
In the 1999 constitution, the procedures of impeaching a state governor are confidently found in Section 188. Ever since then, successful impeachments of state Governors have taken place since 1999.
There are 8 Steps taken for impeaching a state governor and this will be listed below;
- Breach of the provisions of the constitution or misconduct on the part of the state governor. A notice must be signed by at least one-third of members of the State House of Assembly and be sent to the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.
- After he receives the notice, the speaker must within 7 days, present the notice of allegation o both the governor of the state and the members of the state house of assembly.
- If the governor insists, he or she could reply to the allegation placed against him to the members of the state house of assembly.
- It is expected after 14 days of the presentation of the copy of allegation to the speaker, the State house of Assembly shall go with a motion whether or not the allegation will be investigated. It must be passed by at two-thirds majority of the members.
- If it is not successful in reaching the maximum majority, the process ends and no additional action will be taken. Nevertheless, if the maximum majority is achieved and motion is passed, then the Speaker of the house will within 7 days request the Chief Judge to choose a panel of seven persons to investigate the allegations.
- The panel is to make a report within 3 months of being chosen and the result will be taken to the state house of Assembly. The governor can still defend himself after the report.
- If the allegation is proven then the State house of assembly will consider the report and adoption of the report shall be placed.
- For the adoption, it must be backed by an at least two-thirds majority of all the members in the State house of Assembly. Immediately the adoption, the governor shall be removed from office.
It has broken for days that Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state served impeachment notice. This has been the latest impeachment notice of a state governor since it began after the 1999 constitution.
It’s been reported that eight lawmakers of the Benue state house of assembly who belong to the all progressive Congress, (APC) have presented impeachment notice to the state governor by name Samuel Ortom.
Tahav Agerzua a spokesperson for governor Samuel Ortom said eight of 30 lawmakers of the state house took control of the state parliament with the aid of the police.
President Muhammadu Buhari Offers A Condolence To The Jigawa State Governor
The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari Offers Condolences to the Jigawa state Governor, Abubakar Badaru due to the death of his mother in law Hajiya Binta Garba Tasha Funtua, NIGERIA NEWS reports.
Mr. President offered the condolences via his spokesperson, Garba Shehu on Sunday.
Presidential condolence message hereby goes, “I am profoundly touched by the passing of your mother-in-law, Hajiya Binta Garba Funtua and I join your entire family in mourning the inspiring mother.
“Your Excellency, words cannot express my grief over the demise of this great woman. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all members of your family at this difficult time.
“While extending my condolences for this irreparable loss, I pray to Almighty God to comfort you and members of your family. May Allah forgive her shortcomings and reward her good deeds with aljanna. Amin thumma Amin.’’
Umar Ganduje Has Taken An Aggressive Move On The Alleged Missing N6.8M At The Zoo (Full Details)
The Kano state Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has taken a step on the alleged Gorilla that swallows the sum of 6.8 million naira at the Zoo, NIGERIA NEWS reports.
The incident which happened during the Eid-Fitr celebration and this has made the Governor of the state, Umar Ganduje to reacts in giving an order to get to the root of the matter.
According to the report gathered from the Managing Director of the Zoo, Umar Kobo, he narrated the ordeals by stating that:
“The issue is under investigations for now and I don’t want to say anything on the matter, many journalists have come to meet me but I don’t want to talk anything.
“What I can confirm is that money is missing.”
The Police representative in Kano, Abdullahi Haruna reveal the reports which state that 10 people that were on duty when the incident occurred have been apprehended and the investigation into the root of the matter is currently ongoing.
Mr. Haruna states as quoted below:
“Yes, it is true that money from five days of Sallah festivities is missing from the Kano zoo
“As at now, we have arrested 10 members of staff of the zoo including the security man and those working in the finance unit.”
The NIGERIA NEWS earlier reports that Ganduje has instructed the Anti-corruption commission to probe anyone involved in the incident. The order was reported by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Abba Anwar.
- Headlines1 day ago
Nigeria Vs Senegal Friendly Match Tomorrow, Super Eagle Adopts A 3-5-2 Formation
- BREAKING1 day ago
NYSC Director-General Gives An Update On New Minimum Wage For Corps Member
- Entertainment1 day ago
She was everything to me, Sotayogaga lauds late mum
- BREAKING1 day ago
Olunloyo Calls Out To Naira Marley Over Attack On Ruggedman In London (VIDEO)
- Politics1 day ago
9th NASS: You Are Untrustworthy for Selling Out, Wike Slams Most PDP Lawmakers
- BREAKING7 hours ago
Nigeria Vs Senegal International Friendly Match Would Kick Off This Evening
- Entertainment2 days ago
Most ladies have prevented answers to their prayers for a soulmate through demand for iPhones – Apostle Suleman
- BREAKING1 day ago
Kogi Guber: Yahaya Bello Campaign Director-General Regrets Campaigning For Him