A 23-year old woman has given birth to a live mermaid baby in Kolkata, India.
A woman identified as Muskura Bibi has given birth to what is termed a ‘mermaid baby’ in Kolkata, India.
The baby was delivered with fused legs but unfortunately lost the baby just four hours later after being delivered at the Chittaranjan Deva Sadan Hospital on Wednesday.
The phenomenon is medically referred to as the Mermaid Syndrome or Sirenomelia. The occurrence was the second of such case recorded in India and the fifth overall in the World.
According to records from the hospital, Muskura had not gone for a sonogram and the condition of the baby was only discovered when she was delivered of the baby.
Due to the fusion of the legs, the baby’s gender couldn’t be determined due to the rare condition and it tragically died four hours after it was born.
Commenting on the bizarre occurrence, the child specialist at the hospital, Dr Sudip Saha, said: “I had never seen such a baby before. It is the first case of Sirenomelia in the state and second in the country.
“The baby had normal formation in upper part of the body but below the waist, its legs were fused together. The lower part was not developed completely.
“We learnt the mother had not undergone ultrasound sonography throughout gestation.
“The parents are a labour couple and had not sought proper medication during pregnancy due to lack of money.
“Due to lack of proper nutrition and improper blood circulation to the baby from the mother can create this kind of abnormality in fetus. Unfortunately, such babies do not survive.”
In 2016, a woman from Uttar Pradesh in northern Indian gave birth to first mermaid baby in the country but it only survived for ten minutes.
More in Local News
Recent Nigeria News
- Wife Asks For Dissolution Of Marriage From Court October 16, 2018
- Hoodlums Attacks Girl In Balogun Market For Indecent Dressing October 16, 2018
- Taking Drugs Without Prescription Can Damage The Kidney- Medical Doctor October 16, 2018
- 32-Year-Old Man Faces Trial For Stealing Plasma TV October 16, 2018
- Police Warns Against Thuggery Ahead Of Elections October 16, 2018
- Zika Virus Hits More Than 70 People In India October 16, 2018
- 23-Year-Old Man Faces Trial For Stealing Mobile Phones October 16, 2018
- 27-Year-Old Land In Court For Alleged Motorcycle Theft October 16, 2018
- Google Speaks On Withdrawing It’s Commitment From Saudi Arabia October 16, 2018