A 23-year old woman has given birth to a live mermaid baby in Kolkata, India.
A woman identified as Muskura Bibi has given birth to what is termed a ‘mermaid baby’ in Kolkata, India.
The baby was delivered with fused legs but unfortunately lost the baby just four hours later after being delivered at the Chittaranjan Deva Sadan Hospital on Wednesday.
The phenomenon is medically referred to as the Mermaid Syndrome or Sirenomelia. The occurrence was the second of such case recorded in India and the fifth overall in the World.
According to records from the hospital, Muskura had not gone for a sonogram and the condition of the baby was only discovered when she was delivered of the baby.
Due to the fusion of the legs, the baby’s gender couldn’t be determined due to the rare condition and it tragically died four hours after it was born.
Commenting on the bizarre occurrence, the child specialist at the hospital, Dr Sudip Saha, said: “I had never seen such a baby before. It is the first case of Sirenomelia in the state and second in the country.
“The baby had normal formation in upper part of the body but below the waist, its legs were fused together. The lower part was not developed completely.
“We learnt the mother had not undergone ultrasound sonography throughout gestation.
“The parents are a labour couple and had not sought proper medication during pregnancy due to lack of money.
“Due to lack of proper nutrition and improper blood circulation to the baby from the mother can create this kind of abnormality in fetus. Unfortunately, such babies do not survive.”
In 2016, a woman from Uttar Pradesh in northern Indian gave birth to first mermaid baby in the country but it only survived for ten minutes.
More in Local News
Recent Nigeria News
- Lawmaker Of The Second Republic Backs Bid For Saraki’s Resignation As Senate President August 15, 2018
- Police Speaks On The Arrest Of Ogundipe August 15, 2018
- Convict Applies For Master’s Programme In NOUN August 15, 2018
- Lamido Reveals ‘Major’ Reason Senator Akpabio Joined APC August 15, 2018
- Kaduna Deputy Speaker Resigns Days After He Dumped APC For PDP August 15, 2018
- SDP Gives Okorocha Quit Notice August 15, 2018
- Cholera Outbreak: 28 Died In Kano August 15, 2018
- Sallah: 2 Governors Ready To Pay Early August Salary To Workers August 15, 2018
- SERAP Takes NYSC, Adeosun To Court Over Forged NYSC Certficate Allegation August 15, 2018