A 23-year old woman has given birth to a live mermaid baby in Kolkata, India.
A woman identified as Muskura Bibi has given birth to what is termed a ‘mermaid baby’ in Kolkata, India.
The baby was delivered with fused legs but unfortunately lost the baby just four hours later after being delivered at the Chittaranjan Deva Sadan Hospital on Wednesday.
The phenomenon is medically referred to as the Mermaid Syndrome or Sirenomelia. The occurrence was the second of such case recorded in India and the fifth overall in the World.
According to records from the hospital, Muskura had not gone for a sonogram and the condition of the baby was only discovered when she was delivered of the baby.
Due to the fusion of the legs, the baby’s gender couldn’t be determined due to the rare condition and it tragically died four hours after it was born.
Commenting on the bizarre occurrence, the child specialist at the hospital, Dr Sudip Saha, said: “I had never seen such a baby before. It is the first case of Sirenomelia in the state and second in the country.
“The baby had normal formation in upper part of the body but below the waist, its legs were fused together. The lower part was not developed completely.
“We learnt the mother had not undergone ultrasound sonography throughout gestation.
“The parents are a labour couple and had not sought proper medication during pregnancy due to lack of money.
“Due to lack of proper nutrition and improper blood circulation to the baby from the mother can create this kind of abnormality in fetus. Unfortunately, such babies do not survive.”
In 2016, a woman from Uttar Pradesh in northern Indian gave birth to first mermaid baby in the country but it only survived for ten minutes.
More in Local News
Recent Nigeria News
- Nigerian Newspapers: Today Thursday News May 24, 2018
- Latest Nigeria News Today Thursday, 24th May 2018 May 24, 2018
- $16bn Power Projects: Fayose Ridicules Buhari, Obasanjo Over Disagreement May 24, 2018
- $16bn Power Projects: Obasanjo, Jonathan Should Be Probed – SERAP May 24, 2018
- 11-year Old Pupil Collapses After Consuming Energy Drink With Tramadol May 24, 2018
- Police Arrests Man For Allegedly Murdering Wife May 24, 2018
- Offa Robbery: Community Dissociates Itself From Arrested Gang Leader May 23, 2018
- Diezani Loot: Rivers SSG, Politician Appear In Court Over Money Laundering May 23, 2018
- Iniesta Leaves Barca For Japan May 23, 2018